Home And Contents Insurance

Qld Insurance Broker

For most people their house and contents are probably some of the largest assets that they own. It makes sense then to insure them correctly to ensure that if an unfortunate event occurs you can avoid a financial disaster. The unfortunate reality is that most people with inadequate cover do not realise until it’s too late.

There are generally two levels of cover available:
–   Defined Events Cover
These policies are generally cheaper as they provide less cover. The cover is usually restricted to the insured situation – no cover away from the premises.

–   Accidental Loss or Damage Cover
This cover provides all of the cover noted in the defined events policy PLUS cover for ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE or LOSS of items that cannot be found. This cover will generally provide an automatic cover for items taken away from the premises (within Australia).

Building Insurance
Most policies cover the main dwelling plus any other domestic use garage, outbuildings, walls, gates, fences, driveways, verandas, patios, in-ground swimming pools and for tenanted properties, any landlords fixtures and fittings such as stoves, built in air conditioning, light fittings, kitchens, etc.

Contents Insurance
Covers the cost of replacing furniture, carpets, clothes and personal possessions. Items such as artwork, antiques, collections and jewellery can have cover limited to a certain value unless they are specified individually on the policy.
Cover for items being taken away from the insured property (within Australia) is not provided by all policies automatically. These items can be insured by specifying them and paying an additional premium.